The focus of my second course, interpreting educational research, helped me understand the format of research, it also helped me to become a more efficient when reading academic articles. The course also helped me to understand the difference between qualitative and quantitative data. By completing the critical annotated bibliographies in this course I learned to become critical when analyzing educational research, rather than simply taking information at face value. These research skills supported my learning in many courses as I progressed through the remainder of my graduate courses.
Using problem based learning for the focus of my research in this course provided me with valid evidence to further understand the direction my division was heading with inquiry approaches to teaching and learning. This research provided me with a framework to develop a more informed opinion about inquiry learning. Perhaps most importantly it gave me a better understanding about the elements that need to be in place in order for inquiry or problem based learning to be effective.
By focusing my readings and course work on problem based learning, I started to understand that there is a fine line between providing too much support and not providing enough support. A number of things have stuck with me from this research as I have adapted my teaching pedagogy and practice. The first is the way that I respond to questions from students. Many students are used to the idea that the teacher should give them the answer, “tell me the answer, that is your job” is a common phrase I hear from students now. Now when I respond to students, I use questions that force them to find answers. The second change that stemmed from my exposure to the research on problem based learning is how I support students through the process of learning. Scaffolding skills throughout the learning process to ensure that students can be successful. With this shift to more of a facilitator role in the classroom, it was important that I made sure students had the skills to complete the tasks I was asking them to do, in order to achieve the curricular concepts I was asking them to work on. This involved utilizing more literacy strategies, graphic organizers, and individualized practice with critical skills like paraphrasing, thesis development, organizing ideas, etc.
This research was really a starting point for me to move from a more traditional style of teaching, to one of a facilitator. I was not completely converted at the end of this course, but by focusing my research on problem based learning, it planted the seed for me that I needed to rethink what I was doing in my professional practice if I truly wanted a student centered classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment