I was really looking forward to the introduction to curriculum course. I was a little bit disappointed when I looked at the course outline and saw that we would be doing chapter questions. Chapter questions are usually problematic for me, as I have a hard time being motivated to read and respond. However, the chapter questions for this course were very valuable in the process of learning in this complex material. They were open ended questions that forced me to apply the reading to my professional practice. This helped to reinforce the important concepts in the course. For me the most important takeaway from this course was the fact that curriculum is more than the subject specific document that the department of education produces. Curriculum is educational change. It might have nothing to do with the curriculum “document.” Understanding this concept helped me in my next two courses related to curriculum, and carried over into my leadership courses that emphasized implementing educational change.
I have often heard of the term curriculum unpacking, but given the variety of ways that term is utilized in education I think it means different things to different people. However in this course, the curriculum unpacking assignment was very practical for me as I was getting ready to implement a curricular change. I had just been given my teaching timetable for the upcoming year and I was assigned a new course. This curriculum unpacking activity was very valuable for me to thoroughly evaluate what this curriculum was all about, and how it could be best implemented. It also helped me evaluate what problems might arise through the implementation process of my new course.
We were also asked to complete a journal emphasizing personal reflections throughout the course. Looking back at it now, it reminds me of my thoughts as I progressed through the course. I like activities like this, that reinforce ideas, help to validate concerns, and allow me to question the ideas that I am trying to interpret. I have forgotten how valuable this process can be in teaching and learning. I am going to try and utilize a journal type reflection in my professional practice next year.
We were also asked to complete a journal emphasizing personal reflections throughout the course. Looking back at it now, it reminds me of my thoughts as I progressed through the course. I like activities like this, that reinforce ideas, help to validate concerns, and allow me to question the ideas that I am trying to interpret. I have forgotten how valuable this process can be in teaching and learning. I am going to try and utilize a journal type reflection in my professional practice next year.
No comments:
Post a Comment